Cameron County PA

Do you have some news, announcements, photos, items of interest ? Send them in !

Cameron County PA News will be happy to post these for you.

Contact me @ cameroncountypaonline@gmail.com.

You may also comeback from time to time by adding http://cameroncountynews.blogspot.com to your favorites list.

Monday, April 8, 2024

Library welcomes back Steven Marconi for Soil: The Key to Gardening

Library welcomes back Steven Marconi for Soil: The Key to Gardening 

Aaahhh! The first signs of Spring. The birds are singing, the creeks are full of rushing water, the sun warms my face and I can smell the earth and its plants. Oops, was I dreaming? As a gardener, I catch myself dreaming of Spring. That is when I can get out and enjoy all that comes with the new beginnings for my many plants… including the ones I start myself. But wait! Is that snow in the forecast I see? Well no matter, I can still plan for whatever I intend to plant this spring. 

The most important part of preparing for your spring planting is soil preparation. So what is soil anyway? Just dirt you say? Well the soil that you want to plant into is a very complex environment. It is like the environment we inhabit on top of the soil, full of living and nonliving elements.

 Come down the rabbit hole with me to see what is really going on under the soil. Learn the composition of soil, the nutrients and organisms required to have great vegetable or flower garden. Explore the working of the participating organism in good soil. See how to bring all these elements together to give your plants and you, better nutrition. Learn how to create better soil with less work. You will be given materials and information to help you, help your soil to become all it should be. 

Come to the Barbara Moscato Brown Memorial Library on April 16 & 23, from 5:00 – 6:00 pm. Fee is $10 for both classes together, free chance on raised planting bed and free seeds. Now where was I? AAhh, yes, no snow just a suuunny days! Mmm, now where is my trowel? 

To reserve space for this program contact library staff at 814-486-8011 
To learn more about the library’s Seed Library, visit  https://barbaramoscatobrownlibrary.org/seed- library. Those interested in the Penn State Extension Master Gardener Program can visit  https://extension.psu.edu/programs/master-gardener for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment