Cameron County PA

Do you have some news, announcements, photos, items of interest ? Send them in !

Cameron County PA News will be happy to post these for you.

Contact me @ cameroncountypaonline@gmail.com.

You may also comeback from time to time by adding http://cameroncountynews.blogspot.com to your favorites list.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hemlock Invader hits Close to Home

The weekend before deer season, as my father and I crossed the farm where my great-grandfather had settled after immigrating from Europe, we came across a hemlock bough that had been broken out of a nearby tree.
My stomach churned — it was covered in small, white, cottony masses, the telltale sign of the hemlock wooly adelgid.
The Zoschg homestead lies in the First Fork Valley in Cameron County, about five miles north of Sinnemahoning. In 2008 I had found evidence of the adelgid on state forest land on the opposite side of the valley. Since then, I had suspected its presence on our property.

Hemlock wooly adelgid has been killing hemlock trees in eastern forests since its introduction in the 1950s. In 2007, Forestry Bureau personnel ....MOREhttp://coudynews.com/news/hemlock-invader-hits-close-to-home/

No comments:

Post a Comment